UK's second consultation for Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Reform closed on June 4th, 2021. The consultation response was published in March 2022. The aim is to implement EPR in a phased manner from 2024. The changes will include:
- Differentiated pricing based on recyclability [eco-modulation].
- Introducing modulated fees based on recyclability from 2025.
- Going from one annual packaging compliance report to two with expanded details.
- Additional reporting requirements on the supply into different the UK regions.
Producers to pay the costs of managing household packaging waste.
Costs are expected to increase significantly; 2019 Producer costs approx. £400m, updated estimate £1.7b.
Redefined obligated businesses
- Six suggested categories of producers and one compliance point for each piece of packaging
- Individual businesses may take on more than one obligation
- To help consumers understand if a packaging item is recyclable.
Greenstreets can provide comprehensive advice and guidance on all aspects of these changes. Get in touch.