Am I Obligated?
Businesses that produce or use packaging, or sell packaged goods, may be classed as obligated packaging producers if they or their group of companies:
- handle 50 tonnes or more of packaging materials or packaging in a calendar year
- have a turnover of greater than £2 million a year
What does ‘handling’ mean?
Typically handling can include any of the following activities;
- Manufacture – produce raw materials for packaging manufacture
- Packaging conversion – convert raw materials into packaging
- Packing/filling – put goods into packaging or put packaging around goods
- Selling – supply packaged goods to the end user
- Importing – import packaged goods or packaging materials from outside the UK; this includes raw materials that will become packaging, for example, plastic pellets used to make bottles
- Service provider – a business that supplies packaging by hiring it out or lending it