UK's second consultation for Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Reform closed for responses on June 4th, 2021, the summary of responses is expected to be published later in 2021. The consultation indicated significant changes are on the way, which will include:
- Costs are likely to be based on multiple various criteria such as material type, recyclability and complexity, therefore requiring more granular reporting
- Additional reporting based on supply into the different regions - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales.
2. Redefined obligated businesses
- Six proposed categories of producers with one compliance point for each packaging component
- Individual businesses may take on more than one obligation
3. Mandatory labelling
- Designed to help consumers to understand whether a packaging item is recyclable (by component)
- No De-minimus for this requirement to reduce confusion
- Likely to include imported products
Greenstreets will work with you to navigate the changes and provide further guidance.
For further details, please consult UK Second Packaging EPR Consultation