HMRC's Plastic Packaging Tax (PTT) Legislation
Due to be implemented in April 2022, the PPT will impact many producers and importers of plastic packaging. Key features include:
- A £200 per tonne tax rate for plastic packaging with less than 30% recycled plastic content
- All liable producers will need to register with HMRC
- Producers/importers with less than 10 tonnes are excluded
- How the tax will be collected, recovered and enforced
- How the tax will be relieved on exports
The primary focus is on Plastic Packaging and its Recycled Content. This is not currently reported under existing EPR packaging reporting.
Guidance for businesses
Get ready for the Plastic Packaging Tax Now available on GOV.UK, this guide will help manufacturers and importers of plastic packaging to understand if they need to register, what records they will have to retain and what steps they need to take ahead of the introduction of PPT.
Further information about the plastic tax contains additional information around key definitions, registration, record-keeping, exemptions and reliefs. More detailed guidance will be published later in 2021.
Plastics Packaging Tax - Assessment & Preparation Service
Greenstreets offers a complete PPT assessment and preparation service that includes:
- Detailed Review of obligations based on 2020 data
- Focus on imported plastic packaging for sampling/supplier requests
- Simplified guidance as it becomes available
- Assistance with registration
- Set up of ongoing reporting methodology and submission
Please contact Greenstreets for further information.